webmasters are unsure whether they should advertise their website with
SEO (search engine optimization) or PPC (pay per click advertising).
Actually, most commercial websites work best if you use both SEO and
PPC. The exact mix depends on your goals.
Pay per click advertising
- You get instant results. If you advertise
your website on pay per click search engines, then you will get traffic now and not
several months later.
- PPC ads are perfect for time limited offers such as holiday
- You can stop PPC ads at any time.
- PPC ads make it easy to test different keywords and landing
- PPC ads also work with websites that are not very well
designed and wouldn't get good search engine rankings.
- PPC ads allow you to bid on a large amount of keywords,
misspellings and other keyword variations that
you cannot put on your
- PPC advertising can become very expensive if you
bid on the wrong
keywords or if you don't calculate the maximum
bid price correctly.
- Click fraud can be a problem. Not all clickers
are potential customers.
If you advertise your website with PPC ads then you should use a ROI
tracking tool to make sure that you
don't waste your money.
Search engine optimization (SEO):
- Traffic through organic search engine results
is almost free if the up-front work has been
- After optimizing your website you can use your money for different
things and the optimized site will still run.
- A larger number of visitors
and search result clickers is not a problem.
- Search engine optimization
delivers long term results that don't require permanent financial
- SEO can be relatively time-consuming up-front.
- SEO can require a redesign of your web pages
to make your website search engine friendly. However,
this usually also results in a better user experience.
Search engine optimization delivers lasting
results and it costs considerably less in the long term. However,
you must make sure that you optimize
your website correctly,
if your want to get high search engine rankings.
Pay per click advertising and search engine optimization both contribute
to the success of your website. If you use both
wisely, you can get many
new visitors and customers without spending
a fortune. See the
recommended resources below for PPC and SEO software